NTC ruin UWA's big day while RedStar start with a bang

Hyundai NTC banked three points in the opening round of the 2024 NPLWA – Women’s competition with a 2-1 win at UWA Nedlands on Sunday afternoon.

Two first-half goals got the job done for Ben Anderton’s team at UWA Sports Park as they led 2-0 in the game, whilst having plenty of chances to extend the margin of victory after the restart.

The hosts halved the deficit before half-time thanks to US import Michaela Cawley, while goalkeeper Morgan Springer was excellent in what was a resilient performance from UWA in their maiden NPLW fixture.

Springer turned Violet Longmore’s long-range effort away from the top corner before the goalkeeper pushed Klaudia Houlis’ effort around the post.

However, from the subsequent corner, NTC went in front with a nicely worked routine as Jessica Johnson clipped into the box for Longmore to plant a firm header into the back of the net.

It was then 2-0 when the youngsters burst forward with a brilliant counter attack following a UWA set-piece. The move was led by Johnson who found Mia Britton out wide with the winger crossing for Houlis to finish unmarked past the goalkeeper.

Alexandra Lyons struck over the bar from outside the box, but an effort from distance would give Lawrence Lewis’ team their first NPL goal minutes before the break. Cawley spotted Jess Skinner off her line and executed a brilliant lob from 35 yards.


NTC started the second half well and had chances to restore their two-goal lead with Springer denying Maja Archibald before Louise Tana’s drive cannoned off the cross bar.

Uni’s best chance of the second half came when Emily Dinsdale found herself through on goal, though Skinner was aware of the forward’s attempt to round the goalkeeper and made a well-timed challenge.

Springer again kept UWA alive with a great love save to prevent Houlis from registering her second, as two proved to be enough for the State Cup holders who got off the mark.

UWA NTC Cat Bryant
Theodora Mouithys leads an attack for Hyundai NTC against UWA Nedlands. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography

Sunday’s other game saw champions Perth RedStar send a statement to the rest of the competition with a 4-0 win over Subiaco.

RedStar announced two new Japanese signings an hour before kick-off with Arai Manami and Momoko Sakairi joining the club. However, it was another of their off-season recruits in Caitlin Doeglas who set the tone for Carlos Vega Mena’s side.

Doeglas stole the ball off Subi midfielder Shelby Cochran and squared for Sarah Carroll to score a fourth-minute opener, before a solo run from halfway ended in the striker curling past goalkeeper Ash Riddle.

Quyen Doan made it 3-0 at half-time for the two-time NPL winners as she leaped highest to head home Doeglas’ corner.

A fourth and sealing goal was added before the hour mark as one of last season’s stars Reina Kagami intercepted Subiaco’s attempt to play out from the back and struck left-footed past the goalkeeper.

On Saturday, Perth Soccer Club started their season well with 2-0 victory over Fremantle City.

Matilda Bohm opened the scoring on 16 minutes as the defender applied the final touch, following a goalmouth scramble from Kim McCartney’s corner.

The Azzurri had countless chances on the night with Jess Flannery and Ella Lincoln denied by Dayle Schroder, while post and bar also came to Freo’s rescue in the second half.

Midway through the second half, Maya Spatafore’s last-ditch challenge on Flannery just outside the visitors’ box saw the defender shown a straight red card.

From the free-kick, Goldfields forward Flannery opened her account with a low, hard hit through the wall as the Azzurri got their campaign off to a flyer.

RedStar Subiaco FotoEnzo
Reina Kagami, right, celebrates with Sarah Carroll as Perth RedStar beat Subiaco 4-0. Photo by FotoEnzo

Round One started on Thursday as Balcatta won 7-1 at Murdoch University Melville thanks to Lucy Jerram’s four-goal burst.

Andrea Bulgaru’s cross-field pass released Jamie-Lee Gale for the season’s first goal inside six minutes.

But Murdoch battled hard in the first half, and after Alex Foster hit the post 10 minutes in, they went into the break level at 1-1 when Taylor Reid capitalised on a mistake from keeper Isabella Comito to score.

However, the game was broken open by two Jerram goals early in the second half. First, she stayed onside and netted at the second time of asking, before hammering a low strike past the goalkeeper when the ball came her way.

Abbey Meakins added a fourth to complete a blistering start to the second period for Etna, before Jamie-Lee Gale followed in to head home for five after MUM FC failed to clear their lines.

Jerram made it six with a sensational top corner strike 20 minutes from time, and she brought up a quartet soon after as she curled past Manon Gebauer to complete the second-half spree.