Gulls make flying start to life in State League

Sorrento FC began life in State League Division One in fine fashion as they defeated Joondalup United 4-1 at Percy Doyle Reserve.

The Gulls were able to exact revenge on United, who condemned them to relegation from the NPL by beating them in last season’s inter-divisional play-off semi-final.

Four first-half goals banished those demons, starting with Luke Salmon’s seventh-minute finish.



A cheeky lob from Dario Ramella made it 2-0 and it was 3-0 to Steve McGarry’s side when Hamza Hina scored from the penalty spot after he had been fouled.

Zechariah Dabbs tapped in Hina’s cross to make it four as Sorrento hit cruise control in the second half. Substitute Charles Breen was able to pull one back with quarter of an hour remaining after being slipped in by Jamie Gardiner, but it was Sorrento’s day.

Sorrento FC Hamza Hina
Hamza Hina scored one of Sorrento's four goals. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

The league leaders after Round One are UWA Nedlands after they recorded a thumping 4-0 home win over Gosnells City at Dorrien Gardens.

All the goals came in the second half for Richie Abrams’ side, with Sam Ince’s curler kicking off proceedings.

Ince made it two when finishing from Oliver Lebihan’s cross before David Molinari’s through ball was finished with ease by Sebastian Hooshangian.

A late fourth was added by skipper Jordan Pokler as the ball broke his way from a set-piece, which rubberstamped a brilliant opening day for UWA Nedlands.

Murdoch University Melville also hit four as they came from a goal down to defeat newly promoted Kingsley Westside 4-2.

The visitors led at the break thanks to Joel Gillespie’s penalty, but Marc Anthony’s side surged in the second period to start their season with a flourish.

Two goals in two minutes set them on their way as Adam Fields scored across the goalkeeper to tie it up, and soon after a free header for Daniel Tait found the back of the net.

Edward Wynne-Willson’s scissor-volley made it three and it was four for Murdoch when Feisal Zaw showed quick feet and a precise strike to wrap up the three points.

Hayden Lowe’s tidy finish proved only to be a consolation as Kingsley started their maiden second-tier season with a defeat.

Andy Keogh
Andy Keogh scored two as Dianella came from behind to beat Mandurah. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

State League Night Series runners-up Dianella White Eagles had a 2-1 win against Mandurah City thanks to two Andy Keogh goals.

Mandurah struck first before half-time when Robbie Galvin nodded through for Scott Davidson to net his first goal for the club.

But former Perth Glory striker Keogh turned the game around at Dianella Reserve with a second-half double. First, he headed in from a direct pass into the box. Then he converted from the penalty spot following a handball to give Dianella an opening-day win.

Elsewhere, Rockingham City got off the mark in 2024 with a 2-1 victory at Cockburn City.

The Cockerels were playing their first game in the second tier since 2012 following relegation from the NPL last year. But it was the visitors who stepped out of the gates the quicker thanks to Cory McNelis’ firm near-post finish and Christos Vaenas’ volley.

Harry Lewis’ emphatic penalty late in the first half gave Steve McDonald’s hope but no equaliser would arrive for the hosts.

Subiaco also started their campaign well as they won 2-1 at Gwelup Croatia.

A mistake at the back allowed Kaleb Morrison to pull across goal with Moustafa Mohammed the eventual finisher after a quarter of an hour.

Another error saw Gwelup’s new signing Jeremie Mba latch onto a wayward back pass before running and scoring across goalkeeper Conor Hogan.

But Subi had a winner up their sleeve which came six minutes from time when substitutes Aaron McGurk and Hasan Asadi combined with the latter rolling into a vacant net.

Forrestfield Kalamunda
Forrestfield United's Justin Onek celebrates his goal. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography

In Division Two, East Perth won their first State League match after a late goal gave them a 2-1 victory at Ashfield.

Ryan McCready’s early goal set the newly promoted side from the Belt Up Amateur League on their way, but Gareth Hamilton’s penalty 15 minutes from time squared it up.

However, with three minutes remaining, Michele Berlingeri found a decisive goal to give Colm Costello’s side a fairytale start to life in the third tier.

The opening day’s big winners were Joondalup City who thrashed Curtin University 6-1 at Edinburgh Oval.

Noel Disha and Eddie Wilcock had City two up inside 21 minutes and a third goal arrived 20 minutes from the end by Jayden Rowles.

Jeffrey Ledwith collected a red card for the hosts, but Kieran Witt did pull one back to give Curtin an outside shot.

However, Callum Stocks came off the bench and netted a late 10-minute hat-trick to make Joondalup City the early pacesetters.

Quinns are behind them in second after cruising to a 4-1 win at Swan United.

Evan Gurney and Liam Hunt put two on the board inside 10 minutes for the northern suburbs club with Mou Marial’s second-half strike all but ensuring the three points.

Brennan Borzecki got one back for Swan, but new arrival Jason Petrie added late gloss to the scoreline as Quinns start their 2024 looking upwards.

Meanwhile, Forrestfield United landed a 3-2 win over Kalamunda City.

Sherwin Tucker (2) and Justin Onek scored for United with Jose Zuniga and Samir Ramos on target for City.

Balga won 2-0 away at Wanneroo City thanks to goals from Alessio Meschi and Mark Bauersachs, while Carramar Shamrock Rovers and Canning City played the weekend’s only draw in a goalless stalemate.