Stirling, Knights both score five

The top two sides in State League Division One both scored five on Saturday as Stirling Macedonia maintained their four-point advantage over Western Knights.

Leaders Stirling enjoyed a 5-1 win at Forrestfield United. Last week's two-goal hero Gavin Knight opened the scoring with a penalty on 24 minutes to move into double figures.

Sam Wynne made it 2-0 when he found himself clean through on goal, but Graham Normanton's side pulled one back almost immediately when Tarek Atta netted from Laurence Todd's cross.

Wynne was shown a straight red card with 18 minutes to play, but that did not affect Stirling as they scored three times in the final 10 minutes. Alex Tanevski made it 3-1 before Richard Howles and Luke Garas both netted off the bench late on. Both sides ended the game with 10 men as United’s Trent Kay was shown a second yellow card for a challenge on Howles.

Western Knights also scored a handful at Nash Field as they defeated Ashfield 5-0. They only needed five minutes to net their first as Ciaran Byrne followed in Dean Hurley's saved penalty to bag the opener and his 15th goal of the season.

Stirling Macedonia won 5-1 at Forrestfield United. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography
A huge scramble in the Stirling box during their 5-1 win over Forrestfield at Crazy Domains Stadium. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography

Alex Kretowicz rolled into an open goal early in the second period to double the lead and like Stirling showed their ruthless side as the half wore on.

Cameron Yorke poked in the loose ball from a set-piece for 3-0, Paul Lloyd found the corner for four and Ryan Cox coolly netted a fifth as Knights ended a run of two games without a win in style.

A three-goal first half blitz helped Quinns stay third as they won 3-2 away at Fremantle City, who are now without a win in six.

Kade Fearnall's volley found the bottom corner via the inside of the post before Ben Hinshelwood's eighth of the season and Adam Buckingham's penalty made it 3-0 after 35 minutes.

Matt Sparrow's free kick provided a quick response for Fremantle, but it would not lead to a comeback, despite Thomas Kinnane's first senior goal for the hosts providing some consolation late on.

Joondalup United continued their impressive run of form as they defeated bottom side UWA Nedlands 2-0 at Forrest Park.

Nick Jennings' have now had four wins and four draws since going down to Western Knights in Round One and they took the lead on Saturday on 27 minutes through Adam Buckley.

Buckley won the Golden Boot in the Belt Up Amateur Premier League last season and went on to net again for his fourth strike in two games.

Broden Brown scored for a second successive game as Subiaco jumped above Fremantle into fifth spot with a 2-1 win away to Swan United.

Paul Vallerius' side have only lost once in six games and Ben Campbell rifled the visitors into a 22nd minute lead at the Swan Italian Club.

The home side pulled level when Tim Page looped over his own goalkeeper inadvertently, but Brown bundled in a set-piece three minutes later to score what proved to be the winner.

Finally, defending champions Olympic Kingsway gained some revenge for their Night Series final defeat to Mandurah City when they won 1-0 away at Securitas Protect Stadium.

All the drama happened late on as City’s Shane Boyle was shown two yellow cards in quick succession before Owen Goodliffe countered downfield on 90 minutes to score a late winner.

Rory McGrath had an effort saved and Kingsway had to clear off the line as David Tough's side won back-to-back games to move up to seventh.

Division One results and table

The two-horse race in State League Division Two continued on Saturday as Dianella White Eagles and Kingsley Westside both won to open a seven-point gap to third.

Both goals for Stewy Moses' side came in the first half, through Daniel MacKenzie and David Heagney, in a 2-0 win away at Joondalup City.

The result kept Dianella a point clear of Kingsley, who kept pace with a 2-1 win over Morley Windmills. Simone Sichel and Oliver Valentine netted after the break for Steve Dimitrovich’s team. Gustav Persson pulled one back but Windmills’ losing run has now stretched to three.

Wanneroo City went third with a 4-1 win at Kelmscott as they leapfrogged Murdoch University Melville in the standings.

Luke Serra's opener was cancelled out by Callum Hussain, but Charles Breen netted twice in the second half and Jack Reilly added another to complete the scoring.

Curtin University also went above MUM FC after a 2-0 win thanks to Daniel Davey's brace, while Gosnells round out the top half with Aaron Coslani's fantastic late volley giving Marc Anthony's side a 2-1 win at faltering champions Carramar Shamrock Rovers.

Balga also pulled further clear of Kelmscott at the bottom of the league with a 4-1 win at Canning City. The hosts struck first before Meng Chroek equalised then Farruh Mavlonov scored a hat-trick for dominant Balga.

Division Two results and table