Mandurah recover from three down to hold Knights

Night Series winners Mandurah City sensationally came from three goals down to draw 3-3 with Western Knights and end their opponents' flawless start to the Men's State League Division One season.

It was Knights main man Ciaran Byrne who netted all three goals for the visitors with two well-taken solo strikes catching the eye.

Byrne's hat-trick goal was 10th in just four league games this season and completed back-to-back hat-tricks following a similar return at Swan United a fortnight ago.

But the Dolphins went with the flow, as Alex Grayson netted his first since rejoining the club and Craig Barker ran clear of the Knights defence to score and set up a thrilling finale.

And the hosts found a leveller with seven minutes left as Robbie Galvin arrived late to side foot in and earn Mandurah a point.

Fremantle City were unable to capitalise on dropped points from the leaders as they were held 2-2 at Swan United.

Hayden Stevens opened the scoring early on for City, but Jacob Stubberfield hit back for home side with a nicely taken volley.

Noah Shamaki finished firmly to restore Fremantle's lead. But Stubberfield once against had an answer when he poked in from close range to make it 2-2 after only 35 minutes

City remain level on points with Knights and one clear of Quinns, who enjoyed a 2-1 win away at Forrestfield United.

Adam Buckingham tip-toed through the hosts’ defence to score with a brilliant solo strike for Glen Grostate’s side, but Jason Pottier kept his cool at the back post to equalise.

The game was there to be won and it was Quinns who took the three points when Ben Hinshelwood extended his run of scoring in every game by tapping in the winner.

Stirling Macedonia kept pace with the leading trio as they defeated last season's Champions Olympic Kingsway 2-1.

Kingsway, who announced ECU Joondalup assistant David Tough as their new head coach, fell behind on 73 minutes when Sam Wynne played a nice one-two with Alex Tanevski and found the corner.

Owen Goodlife bundled in from close range to level the scores, but Ian Ferguson's team found the winner to remain unbeaten at home when Gavin Knight followed in Wynne's shot.

Elsewhere, Jay Lang’s hat trick helped Joondalup United win 3-2 over Ashfield and move up to fifth.

The visitors hit the front at Forrest Park through Zakir Hussain but Lang responded quickly for the home side with a free-kick into the bottom corner.

Lang was on the scoresheet again after the restart when he crashed home from the edge of the area, but Ashfield pulled it back to 2-2 when Abdul Abdella rounded the goalkeeper to finish. But it was Lang’s day and United’s top scorer volleyed his fourth goal of the campaign.

Finally, Subiaco joined Joondalup United in the top half of the division as they won 2-0 at UWA Nedlands.

Hayden Stevens opens the scoring for Fremantle City in their 2-2 draw at Swan United
Hayden Stevens opens the scoring for Fremantle City in their 2-2 draw at Swan United. Photo by Conor Lowe

Two goals in three second half minutes did the trick for the visitors who went ahead on 71 minutes when Mella Loding headed home from a free kick. Minutes later, the game was made safe when Loding surged through a couple of challenges before side-footing in as Subiaco won away for the second time in 2021.

In Division Two, Dianella White Eagles remain top after a 2-1 home win over Gosnells City.

The visitors hadn’t won since the opening round but Miguel De Oliveira’s 16th minute goal gave City an early break. But they led for only eight minutes as David Heagney’s fifth goal of the season pulled Dianella level, and Stewy Moses’ team found a winner on the hour mark through Nikola Talimdzioski.

Morley Windmills started the day in second place but slipped up 3-0 at home to Wanneroo City, who lifted themselves into the top half.

Simon Burt put the visitors ahead on 12 minutes before second half strikes from Josh Booysen and Greg Greenwood earned the Roos a first away win of the campaign.

Kingsley Westside moved into second spot after they defeated Canning City 2-1 at Burrendah Reserve.

In-form Simone Sichel scored in both halves as the visitors moved to within a point of Dianella.

Elsewhere, Patrick Morrison’s 87th minute equaliser rescued a 2-2 draw for Carramar Shamrock Rovers at Murdoch University Melville FC.

Balga recorded their first win of the campaign as second half strikes from Bleron Mamudi and Alex Ekeze helped complete a come-from-behind win at Curtin University.

Jonathan Hulme’s hat-trick helped Joondalup City kickstart their season as they recorded a 6-0 win over Kelmscott Roos at Iluka Sports Complex.