Kingsway open gap after Knights loss, Mandurah hit seven

Mandurah City extended their unbeaten run to six games and signalled their intent that they may be up for a title push after hammering Quinns 7-1.

The leading scorers in the Men’s State League first division won a fourth straight match on Saturday, led by two goals each to Joe O'Brien and Hamish Van Dieken. Meanwhile, it was a tough first game in charge for Cameron Aitchison who was appointed as Quinns first team coach in midweek following the departure of Glen Grostate.

Craig Barker got the ball rolling early for the Dolphins with his sixth goal of the season, before Ben Hinshelwood tapped home from close range to level for the visitors.

There was an instant response to Hinshelwood's goal as Jake Shaked volleyed home magnificently from outside the box, and soon after John Baird gave Mandurah a two-goal with a finish from O'Brien's cross.

O'Brien then scored either side of the break, as he followed in his own initial effort which hit the post, before making it 5-1 on 58 minutes with trademark header.

Van Dieken then struck twice in a minute later on to add gloss to the score line as Mandurah's impressive 2022 form continued.

At the top of the league, Olympic Kingsway got back to winning ways after last week's defeat to Knights by winning 2-0 over Dianella White Eagles.

Both goals came in the first half for David Tough's side as Ciaran Byrne scored twice. The first came from the penalty spot and the second was a pinpoint finish from Charlie Kenna's pass.

Tyler Garner was shown a straight red card just before half time as Kingsway finished the game with 10 men, but they saw it out to extend their lead to three points at the top.

That advantage was presented to them after Fremantle City inflicted Western Knights’ first loss, the 2-1 result moving City to within a point of their opponents.

Chris Thackray opened the scoring from long distance, but top scorer Dylan White netted for a third straight game to level in the second half.

The winner came on 63 minute when Charles Parry curled spectacularly into the top corner from the edge of the area. Cameron Lord's side remain unbeaten and are four points off the summit with a game in hand on Kingsway.

Murdoch University Melville ended a small blip as Christos Vaenas' late winner gave Taki Nicolaidis' side a 2-1 win over Subiaco.

All the goals came in the final 12 minutes at the Besteam Stadium. Declan Tanna headed home from a corner to put the home side up, but in-form striker Emmanuel Langoya levelled with superb curler soon after.

Vaenas would be the hero though with a late header at the back post, as MUM FC climb back into the top half and Subiaco remain in fifth place.

Elsewhere, Joondalup United moved up to eighth courtesy of two goals in the final two minutes which completed a remarkable 2-1 comeback win over UWA Nedlands.

Simon Burt stroked in the opener for the league's bottom side, but they couldn’t hold onto their first win of the season as Nick Jennings' side turned it around late.

Ben Johns forced home a long throw which caused chaos in UWA's defence, before James Harmer sneaked in behind the hosts’ defence and struck the winner.

Rockingham pulled off an impressive 3-1 win at Forrestfield. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography

Rockingham City also moved clear of the bottom as a 3-1 win over Forrestfield United gave them back-to-back wins.

Moses Macauley met Alex Mclean's cross to give the visitors a first-half lead, but Rockingham would hit back with three second half goals.

Two goals in two minutes helped them on their way as an own goal was followed by Shaun Mukwevho's swipe towards goal. Robbie Galvin's stunning free-kick wrapped it up late on.

Division One results

In Division Two, Carramar Shamrock Rovers recovered from last week's first defeat of the season by winning 4-0 at Morley Windmills.

Chris Williams got the opener and Jamie Gibson made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time. Callum Trayner all but sealed the points with 13 minutes to play, before Gibson made it eight goals in seven this season late on.

Rovers opened up a three-point lead after Kingsley Westside had to settle for a 1-1 draw at South West Phoenix despite Luke Coltman's opener.

Gosnells City moved up to third after a 2-0 win over Wanneroo City at Walter Padbury Reserve. Edward Wynne-Wilson got the first on 29 minutes before Blake Pritchard made the points safe late on for Marc Anthony's side.

They overtake Curtin University who fell to a 3-0 defeat away at Canning City. Rowan Steed was the hero for the home side with a hat-trick. He has now scored four goals in two games as City moved off the bottom of the table.

Joondalup City and Swan United also surged into the top half of the league following away wins on Saturday. United ended a three-game losing run with goals from Jake Fritchley and Ismael Bangura giving them a 2-0 win at Ashfield, while Liam Peacock's winner helped City beat Balga 1-0.

Division Two results