Goals fly in as Quinns upset champions Kingsway

Quinns FC sprung one of the surprises of the weekend in the opening round of the Men's State League Division One as they upset defending champions and double winners Olympic Kingsway 4-1.

Cian Hirrell opened the scoring inside 10 minutes when he headed in following a long throw from the right, and another set-piece proved Kingsway's undoing on half an hour as Reece Abrams slammed home for 2-0.

Former ECU Joondalup striker Ben Hinshelwood scored from the spot after Joel Prout's foul on Liam Hudson as the visitors bagged a third which all but sealed the points.

Adam Buckingham put through his own net from Elliot Tattersall's cross for Kingsway's goal, but there was still time for Quinns to net a fourth. Another new signing Adam Tong crossed into the area and Hinshelwood scored with a spectacular bicycle kick to complete his brace and the statement victory.

Mandurah City were brought back down to earth after last week's Night Series triumph as they suffered a 5-3 defeat to Stirling Macedonia at Macedonia Park.

The Dolphins were back at the scene of Saturday's success, but it was Ian Ferguson's side who took the lead when Richard Howles glanced a header over the goalkeeper.

Howles doubled the lead with a curling effort later in the half before former Kingsway player Gyles Davies gave the hosts a 3-0 at the interval.

Jamie Burns pulled a goal back with 20 minutes to play but last season's top scorer Gavin Knight restored the three-goal margin minutes later and then Howles completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot for Stirling's fifth.

Rory McGrath and Joe O'Brien netted late consolations to reduce the deficit, but it proved too little, too late as Stirling began their season on a high.

The goals were also flowing for Western Knights as they eased to a 5-1 win away at Joondalup United.

Two goals in the opening 15 minutes set the visitors on their way as Dean Hurley coolly converted Jack Rycroft's cross before the Knights No.9 made it 2-0 from the penalty spot.

Two became three a minute into the second half as Ciaran Byrne headed home at the back post. Joondalup United then pegged one back as Joel Sollitt capitalised on a stray back-pass to fire home.

But two goals in the final 10 minutes sealed the points for the 2017 State Cup winners as Cameron Yorke headed in from a corner and Byrne scored his second from Dylan White's cut-back.

Elsewhere, there was late drama as Subiaco came from behind on the road to defeat 10-man Ashfield 2-1.

James Sammut put the home side in front on 39 minutes when he curled a free-kick over the wall and into the bottom corner of Teo Brown's goal.

Subiaco drew level three minutes into the second half when Jamie Serra misjudged a cross from the left and Ben Wantee was on hand to bundle home.

Ashfield were reduced 10 men barely a minute later as Abdul Abdella saw a straight red card for a shove on Tim Page. Subiaco capitalised late on to secure all three points when Nathan Smith arrived on the edge of the area to side foot the winner.

Fremantle City started their season strongly with two goals from James Harmer helping them to a 4-0 win at UWA Nedlands.

City got off to the perfect start when they were awarded a penalty in the 12th minute and former Rockingham City playmaker Harmer blasted his spot-kick into the roof of the net.

Off-season recruit Noah Shamaki played a key role in doubling Fremantle's lead as his surge and cross down the left wing led to Thomas Moroney slicing into his own net.

Mitch Firth came off the bench to make it 3-0 from Todd Howarth's set-piece and the away side added a late fourth when Harmer stepped up to the penalty spot again and dispatched the kick low into the bottom corner.

Action from Swan United's 3-1 win at Forrestfield United. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography
Action from Swan United's 3-1 win at Forrestfield United. Photo by Cat Bryant Photography

Finally, Swan United began the new season in stunning fashion as they defeated Forrestfield United 3-1 at Crazy Domains Stadium.

Swan had a difficult 2020 with only two wins in their 16 league games and things weren't going to plan again on Saturday night as Forrestfield skipper Rhys Loxley broke the deadlock on 68 minutes.

But the visitors drew level four minutes later when Boas Mtwale surged forward and crossed for John Monterosso to force over the line, despite the best efforts of Luke Martino.

It looked as though the spoils would be shared but with a couple of minutes remaining James Shamim crashed home a volley from long range.

And three points for Swan were confirmed when Shamim and Monterosso linked up for the latter to complete his brace with an assured finish.

In State League Division Two, Jack Bardsley's hat-trick helped Carramar Shamrock Rovers start their title defence with a convincing 5-1 win away at Wanneroo City.

Patrick Morrison opened the scoring inside five minutes and Bardsley netted twice before the break to give Gerry McEwan's team a strong footing in the match.

Luke Serra's free-kick gave Wanneroo brief hope, but Ger Fitzgerald ensured that was short-lived with an answering goal two minutes after.

Bardsley then completed his treble on 67 minutes to add a fifth for Rovers and ensure they laid down a marker.

Morley Windmills scored three times in the final nine minutes to win 3-1 against Kelmscott Roos.

It was a goalless first half at Wotton Reserve, but it was the visitors who opened the scoring on 57 minutes when Francisco Jorquera netted.

Kelmscott held that lead until the 81st minute when Gustav Persson levelled and that gave the hosts the push they needed to go on and claim three round one points.

Alex Galipo made it 2-1 with four minutes to play and then deep in stoppage time Leigh Morgan converted from the penalty spot to put Morley in second place.  

Elsewhere, Dianella White Eagles and Murdoch University Melville kicked off their campaigns with 1-0 home wins.

Adam O'Neill's own goal midway through the first half was the difference as former Bayswater assistant coach Stewy Moses got Dianella off to a winning start against Kingsley Westside. Meanwhile on the Murdoch synthetic it was Edward Wynne-Willson's 89th minute goal which settled matters with Canning City.

Skipper Scott Pereira scored the only goal on 83 minutes as Gosnells City defeated Balga SC 1-0 at Walter Padbury Reserve,while on Thursday night Craig Komacha's goal 10 minutes from time gave Curtin University a 3-2 win at home to Joondalup City in the season opener.