Byrne double sinks old club Knights as Kingsway move five points clear

Olympic Kingsway took a giant stride towards returning to the top flight with a 2-0 win over Western Knights at Kingsway Reserve.

Ciaran Byrne, who won the 2021 Golden Boot with Knights, got both goals in a clash between first and second in the Men’s State League Division One. When the dust had settled, David Tough’s side were sitting five points clear at the top of with five matches remaining.

Byrne opened his account from the penalty spot and doubled his tally in spectacular fashion with a curling strike later in the first half for his 13th of the season.

Ryan Cox got a second yellow card late on for Knights, who dropped to third and are now six points behind the leaders.

That is because they were overtaken by Fremantle City, who went second and kept their title hopes alive with a 5-0 victory at Forrestfield United.

A first-half blitz got City moving. Joshua Macri’s first of the season started the run, before Gavin Knights penalty made it two.

Knight volleyed in to make it 3-0 on 26 minutes and a fourth arrived six minutes before the break when Hamza Hina raced clear to score via the goalkeeper.

Hina added a powerful fifth in the second half to wrap up a third win in four outings for Fremantle. They still need to play Kingsway, which could set up a thrilling finale to the season.

The remainder of the top half stayed as it was, with Mandurah City, Murdoch University Melville and Rockingham all winning against bottom-half sides.

Mandurah defeated Subiaco 4-2 in the southern suburbs. Mark Bauersachs’ first goal of the season was a quick answer to an own goal scored by the visitors.

Craig Barker curled home to put the Dolphins up on the stroke of half-time, but Subi were not done and tied it up again from the penalty spot on 55 minutes with Elliot Ireland the scorer.

The hosts won it with two goals in eight second-half minutes. Hamish Van Dieken arrived in the area to restore Mandurah’s lead and Barker finished Sam Byrne’s cut-back to complete the scoring.

MUM FC’s good season continued with a 3-0 victory over Dianella White Eagles, their fourth win in five games.

All the goals were scored in the first half at the Besteam Stadium with Christos Vaenas finding the net inside a minute from Declan Tanna’s cross.

Feisal Zaw tapped in after Pat Sara’s header came off the bar and the former Rockingham flyer made it three before the break when sliding in after link-up play with Kai Jones.

Rockingham City’s recent resurgence also continued with their unbeaten run stretching to six games after a 1-0 win over Joondalup United. Taylor Carter got the winner 12 minutes from time with a nicely placed downward header from Albert Fullard’s cross.

There was also a big result at the bottom as UWA Nedlands beat Quinns 4-1 to move within a point of their opponents. Quinns have now lost nine in a row and sit precariously above the automatic relegation spot.

They did take the lead here through Ryan McCreedy’s close-range finish. UWA turned it around before half-time as Alfred Moore twice capitalised on some lacklustre defending to give them the hosts the lead. Hasan Asadi then had the ball break into his path to score before Samuel Moffatt’s fourth on 65 minutes gave UWA a first win since Round 10.

Division One results

In Division Two, Gosnells City continue to lead the way, extending their unbeaten streak to double figures after a hard-fought 2-1 win over Joondalup City.

Brad Hayward’s team were the last side to knock off the leaders but found themselves behind through James Burns’ ninth of the season. Hayden Lowe equalised nine minutes later, but the winning goal ultimately came later in the first half when Scott Pereira scored from the penalty spot.

Carramar Shamrock Rovers remain in hot pursuit after a 2-0 win away at South West Phoenix. Rovers are two points behind but have played a game more than Marc Anthony’s side. Jack Bardsley and Jamie Gibson bagged the goals for Rovers, who had to play with 10 men from the 36th minute after Callum Trayner’s red card.

With the fixture between Ashfield and Kingsley Westside washed out, Swan United moved up to third with their 2-2 draw at Curtin University.

Daniel Noccolino’s opener was erased by two quick goals from John Monterosso for Swan before the break, but Simone Sichel got what proved to be the leveller on 50 minutes.

Elsewhere, Sasco Tamba cancelled out Robert Irving’s opener as Wanneroo City earned a 1-1 draw at Morley Windmills, while Canning City and Balga played out a goalless draw at Burrendah Reserve.

Division Two results